I am.
What a powerful statement. There are about a million different directions that sentence can go. Verbs, Nouns, Adjectives. The most beautiful part of that sentence to me, is that it's up to us to finish it. I like to look at it the same way that I'd look at a blank page, or perhaps an Ad-lib. You can let others finish your sentence for you, let them determine who you are, and what you are. But why would you? You have the power to turn that sentence, that statement, into anything, and anyone you want. Let me give you an example.
This is me letting someone else complete my sentence.
I am worthless. I am overweight. I am the guy that lives down the street. I am unwanted. I am wearing a red shirt.
Do you notice how those range from hurtful, to meaningless? Good. That's important.
This is me finishing my own sentence.
I am funny. I am good looking. I am strong. I am a good friend. I am intelligent.
When we let others dictate our sentence, occasionally they will fill your book with uplifting, and helpful things. Mostly, they will make it a book that hurts to read. When we write our own books, and finish our own sentences, we can look back, and read through it, seeing our strengths, and our accomplishments.
I'd like to demonstrate something else.
I am worthless, at wedding design. I am overweight, but I have a great personality. I am the guy that lives down the street, who is a good neighbor. I am unwanted in a fashion pagent.
Do you see how even when others tried to complete my sentences, I don't let them write my book. I'm not perfect. I don't claim to be. But I am not worthless, and I don't find my confidence in what others think of me. When we give others the power to control us, and to write our book, we're saying that we don't even think enough of ourselves to pick up a pen.
The beautiful thing about being able to write our own stories, is that we have the power, the ability, and the responsibility to pick up the pen. To look inside, to look around, and see that we're so much more than what others would write about us. Your book isn't going to be filled with all good sentences. We make mistakes, and we can't erase our sentences. But we can write more good, and beautiful sentences than negative ones. Your book, your story, your sentences, and your life are in your hands. Don't let someone else write it for you. Pick up your pen, and get to writing.
Make your story worth reading.
What's your book going to say?
James.
No comments:
Post a Comment